conditional formatting in a pivot table
I want to use conditional formatting in the column headings of my pivot table, to use a red bold font when the criteria is met. I am using the 'Highlight Cells' option "use formula to determine the cells to format".
Here is the formula:
The formula is not accepted and I receive this error message: "the formula you typed contains an error."
The intent of the formula is to 1) find the text in cell Q8 (the column heading in my pivot table) in a table named 'VarietiesTbl' that I have defined in another sheet within the same workbook, named 'Varieties' [MATCH(Q8,VarietiesTbl[[#All],[New Descr]],0];
2) once found, create the cell address for 1 column to the right from where the match is found [ADDRESS(MATCH(Q8,VarietiesTbl[[#All],[New Descr]],0)+2,4,,1,"Varieties")]; 3) return the value contained in the cell address calculated in Step 2 [INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(Q8,VarietiesTbl[[#All],[New
Descr]],0)+2,4,,1,"Varieties"))]; and 4) if the value returned equals "R2Y" then turn on the conditional formatting.
Can you tell me where the error is, or if there is a better way to write this formula?
Actually, the formula turns into ="INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(Q8,VarietiesTbl[[#All],[New Descr]],0)+2,4,,1,""Varieties""))=""R2Y""". Could the quotes be causing my error?
The formula returns a result of "TRUE" when used as a regular formula (without the surrounding quotes).
Anwsers to the Problem conditional formatting in a pivot table
Here is the formula with the cell addresses: =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(Q8,Varieties!$C$4:$C$64,0),4,,1,"Varieties"))="R2Y"
After replacing the structured reference in the formula, I now get the error message: "You cannot use references to other worksheets or workbooks for Conditional Formatting criteria."
I found a work-around by concatenating an asterisk as the last character of the field values that are being used as the column headers in my pivot table. Then I can use the conditional formatting to highlight anything with an asterisk as the last character.
Thanks for your help.
Manually editing the Windows registry
Manually editing the Windows registry to remove invalid MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION keys is not recommended unless you are PC service professional. Incorrectly editing your registry can stop your PC from functioning and create irreversible damage to your operating system. In fact, one misplaced comma can prevent your PC from booting entirely!
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To manually repair your Windows registry, first you need to create a backup by exporting a portion of the registry related to MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (eg. Windows Operating System):
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Another Safe way to Fix the Problem: conditional formatting in a pivot table:
How to Fix conditional formatting in a pivot table with SmartPCFixer?
1. Download Error Fixer. Install it on your computer.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems which need to be repaired.
3. The Repair part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed. You can also use other functions in this software. Like dll downloading, windows updating and print spooler error repair.
Related: Best Way to Download Satellite L645-SP4004M WinDVD BD for Toshiba v.10.0.6.110 driver,Download Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5057 Wireless LAN Driver v.188.8.131.528.0,Method to Update & Download Toshiba Satellite L650-BT2N22 Web Camera Application v.184.108.40.206 driver,How Can You Update & Download Toshiba Satellite L775D-S7220GR Value Added Package v.1.6.0130.640204 driver,Download Toshiba Satellite Pro L750-SP5176FM Sleep Utility v.1.4.0025.000101 driver,Best Way to Download NVidia GeForce 6100 VGA Driver v.304.51 Certified,How Can You Update & Download NVidia GeForce 9300/nForce 730i VGA Driver v.310.19 Certified,Method to Download NVidia GeForce GT 330M Driver v.340.65,How Can I Update & Download NVidia GeForce GTX 590 Driver v.280.26 WHQL,Method to Download NVidia Tesla C2050 Driver v.319.17,Way to Download RealTek RTL8100C(L) Driver v.5.01,Way to Download RealTek RTL8100E Drivers v.694,Way to Update & Download RealTek RTL8101L Auto Installation Program v.6.110 driver,Method to Update & Download RealTek RTL8111G PXE and RPL ROM code v.2.58 driver,How to Update & Download RealTek RTL8411B(N) Driver v.10.003,Best Way to Update & Download ASUS A53SV nVidia Graphics Driver v.220.127.116.1186,Method to Herunterladen ASUS K75VJ Intel Rapid Storage Technology Treiber v.18.104.22.1680,How Can You Update & Download ASUS CG8580 Intel Chipset Driver v.22.214.171.1249,Method to Update & Download ASUS K41VD Intel INF Update Driver v.126.96.36.1995,Way to Update & Download ASUS Pro70T NB Probe v.3.0.0026 driver
Read More: Computer Restarting Suddenly [Anwsered],Troubleshooter of Error: Conditional formatting Blank Cells,connecting a HDTV as a second monitor [Solved],Fast Solution to Error: Computer is making a random bing sound and the word \"cut\" flashes in the lower right-hand corner, also issues play the phot slideshow.,How to Fix Problem - Computer will not wake up after Sleep Mode, plus other issues.?,Can't change homegroup sharing permission,Can't connect XP shared printer to Win7 except as a local printer.__,Can You Connect the LAN Adapter for Wii On your Windows 7 Laptop?,Can These Files Be Deleted,Can’t install Microsoft Flight Simulator X Gold Edition error 1722